Discrimination is not me. I have accepted and accept people the way they are, without harbouring any perceptions when I come across them. And this extends to one and all. Do I have a problem with people who discriminate with LGBTQ? I do. I have a big time problem with them.
How a body reciprocates and to who, it’s not for you to decide or judge. The soul that houses the body will find it’s way. We better not intervene. If you are a reader, a true reader, you will read a person and accept him/her for what they are. Flawed yet perfect.
Why am I saying this now? Well, it’s pride month. And I may not go out attending pride parade like my friends do, but I time and again I have stood up for the cause of LGBTQ. Am I gloating? No. All I am saying is even if you don’t participate in such parades it’s fine as long as you speak up for equality. I am a Libran and equality is what we really bother about.
So here’s a list of LGBTQ themed books I have read over the years.
1. Simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda by Becky Albertalli – I absolutely loved this book. It speaks about anti-bullying. The characters are sketched so well that reading gives you a visual pleasure.
2. Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz – This book is exceptionally penned. Reading this book was like reading a classic literary gem! And it is layered. And it is rich symbolically.
3. The priory of the orange tree by Samantha Shannon – This tome hosts strong woman characters and I loved it for that. Plus the way it represents LGBTQ, it’s done right.
4. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – I know, I know. Rowell makes it all legit in Carry On but it all started in the fandom created Fangirl for me. And it’s effortlessly convincing.
5. The carpet weaver by Nemat Sadat – One of the best LGBTQ stories written in the recent times. Also if you love middle East lit you will love this book as much as I did.
These were the five that popped up in my mind. An extensive reading is yet to be done. Infact, a great many classics have queer theme. It’s all gonna take a lifetime to explore.
Meanwhile, if you have any suggestions pls do drop them in the comments below or Instagram DM the same.
Also if you have a problem with LGBTQ the make sure you educate yourself first. Discrimination of any kind isn’t tolerable.
***Copyright in content and pictures belongs to Siddhi Palande, the owner of this blog, and cannot be republished or repurposed without permission from the author. Infringement of any kind will invite strict legal action.***